- Iconic Community Science Facility using sculptural wow-factor buildings set in green space and native vegetation
- A Destination Tourism Project for the Recovery of Christchurch and the benefit of New Zealand partnered with The Eden Project, UK, as part of their global outreach strategy
- The key themes are Land and Water which are major priorities for New Zealand - Its focus will be nature, culture, science, community and tourism
- Includes meeting and events spaces, education centre, multi-purpose conference/function/entertainment centre, outdoor amphitheatre, outdoor exhibition and festival site and high quality retail and hospitality.
- Located in the Avon Loop it will provide easy access to visitors staying in the central city while providing a gateway and ‘compass’ linking to other attractions located on Red Zone land to the East.
- The Eden Project in Cornwall, UK has had 13 million visitors in 11 years, employs almost 500 staff and generated £10 billion ($20 billion) for the local economy. Voted Best UK Leisure Attraction in 2011, 2012 and 2013 it is a well established international brand.
- Iconic attractions that speak to the heart of a destination have emerged as the critical success factor in tourism management and Influence visitor decision making concerning their visit to New Zealand/Christchurch and grow visitor market by increasing length of stay, visitor spend, repeat visits.
- Robust foundation design to meet the local ground conditions.
- Flood risk mitigation.
View the Concept Brochure here
View a video about The Eden Project UK here and a video of Sir Tim Smit and Prof David Simmons discussing The Eden NZ project here